We all know there are many things that we can buy to help protect us from people who wish to do us harm. But have you ever thought about what we can do now to prevent those types of situations?
Well, lucky for you, we have. Here is a list of several things that you can do to help fortify your home from intruders.
- Break in to your own home. Now, this sounds counterintuitive, but it makes sense, doesn’t it? It’s hard to prepare, if you don’t know where to start. You can temper the glass and put locks on the windows, but if there’s only one door lock on the front door, then they could just pick the lock.
- Door locks. Make sure that all outdoor-facing doors have at least two locks on them – even if you don’t use them all the time, every time. Having just the door handle lock is not enough when you are talking about protecting your home. At the very least, you need the handle lock and a deadbolt.
- Doors & Windows. Keeping the doors and windows shut and locked is the best way to deter potential intruders. If they see and open window, it may prove too tempting for them. By keeping the doors closed and locked when not in use, it allows you to have a safer home, inside and out. Window treatments and safety glass window films are also a great option.
- Good lighting, indoors and outdoors. Making sure that you have motion sensor lights around your home will ensure that you can see what is going on around you. Whether it’s just a squirrel, a deer, or a person, when they go off, you will know it’s something.
- Alarm systems. While they can be spendy, alarm systems are a great way to ensure the safety of your home, whether you are there or not. It gives you the peace of mind that there is always people looking over the sensors and reports, allowing you a nice night of sleep. Security systems take many different forms, so you shouldn’t dismiss it just because you got one quote. You can always purchase the parts online and install them yourself – just remember that if you do that, you will need to set up a server or other form of recording system for the footage. Even dummy cameras can give you some semblance of reassurance.
- Alternative alarms. Even dogs, cats, or jingle bells over the door can give you those extra few moments of time to prepare yourself. Sure, it doesn’t stop people from coming inside, but it should make them thing twice.
- Proper yard maintenance. Keeping trees and bushes trimmed will increase visibility, letting that outdoor light fill areas otherwise covered, and giving shady people less places to hide.
Whether you are just going away for the weekend or looking for permeate protections, these easy tips will help you rest easy.
Thank you for reading my article today. As always, if you have a comment, please leave it below; or if you have a suggestion on a topic, please contact me via the contact page above!